Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bitter Experience with American Transportation System.

Imagine, we are moving to new state in India for a job and let’s say Our work place is about 30 miles away from our hotel or room etc… also assume we don’t have our own bike or car etc… How we go to office daily in India?
Yes, Absolutely…! We may take Bus, Train or Auto (Taxi)…!
How long it will take us to travel for 30 miles in a Bus, Train or Auto?
May be 30Min Minimum…! And Hardly in Bad Traffic scenario, will it take 1 Hour Max, Right…? In certain locations like Hyderabad, Mumbai…it may take much more time (may be 90 Min). On a given day if there is no Traffic Jams, we can go to office in 30 min whatever the means of transportation is…!

Now, Let me tell you How ‘Great American’ Transportation Killed me.
I had to leave to Pittsburgh, PA (USA), two days back on a project. I got to stay there for 1 month minimum. Hence I was searching for a room near to the client location, but my search never found me a location near to client Place. I hardly found few apartments about 35 miles away from client location. I was happy that it was OK distance to travel daily. As I don’t have a car, I was in looking for some public transportation. Though, Pittsburgh is one of the good places in USA there are no trains available. Thank God, they had Local Buses available.
You may ask me at this point of time…, “Come on Dude, what is the reason you are blaming America…”
Well, the real story begins here…
They have buses available, but it takes TWO AND HALF HOURS (2 ½) to reach client location from the apartment where I planned to stay for a month.
For me, There are no issues to travel for 2 ½ hours UP and 2 ½ hours Down (Totally 5 hours Daily (to and fro)), If I don’t need to walk for 1 hour and no need to transfer the bus 3 times.
Yeah…That’s true…!
I need to change 3 Buses to travel 30 Miles, and walk for 1 hour to reach destination. If I miss any bus in this pipeline by any means, let me tell you I have no Alternative other than waiting for 1 more Hour, which causes Minimum of one Hour delay to Office. I cannot take a taxi, since they are much expensive. Meter of Taxis in certain locations runs on Time (Indian Autos and Few American Taxis Runs on Distance Meter). If we struck up in some traffic or if we have all red lights in our journey, Meter will keep ticks.

How Dangerous situation it is….? If we don’t have a Car in America, it is like Cutting your legs and asking you to walk without any kind of support.
I know what you thinking about…
The location which I told may be some weird location or the location where I am staying is weird.
Umm…My Answer is NO.
This Problem Arises almost all across America.
I was in Mobile, AL for about 1 Year; I never found a train or bus. I can see the rail tracks, but I never saw a train in those trails. I found one local bus service, but that bus runs for every one hour and also only in certain locations.
If I want to go to a different city, which is about 10 miles away from Mobile I should definitely own a car or someone should drop me in their Car. Let’s say if I want to go to some other state from Alabama Only one option left, take a Flight. I don’t need to tell you how much a round trip costs. There is Grey Hound Bus service available for us, but before taking those buses forget about your destination. I don’t mean they are dangerous but I mean they are tortoise.
Let me tell you guys one more case….!
It is of my friends’ experience. He went to some small village nearer to Minneapolis I guess, but it is in Minnesota State.
He is staying there from last 2 months, till now he couldn’t find single taxi. Besides that he not even found an apartment to share with someone. If he wants to get some Grocery (Indian), he is hiring a car and traveling for almost 170 miles (One way). See how useless location is that.
This is the same story repeats in all over across America other than few locations like, New York, New Jersey, Boston, Washington DC (East Coast of America).
Now I know what you are thinking…!!
Why the hell America has that bad transportation?
Well, best answer is “I don’t know”, but I heard a story from few of my friends. It may be a rumor, it may be true. Let me tell you the story…,
“About 100 years back or some, there was some trading between American Government and American Automobile Association. American Automobile Association Offered, billions of money to American Government for not arranging proper transportation system. Since, that is the only way people will definitely buy Cars for their transportation.”
Sometimes it seems true…!
This is not fair for a common man like me, but I am no one to fight for it, also I guess I don’t have that right. This is the first worst thing I found in America from first day of my stay here. I am not able to understand how Americans are passing their life with this kind of transportation system?

Seriously, I suggest America to think on it and plan something good. It is not at all fair for a leading and highly developed nation.
I don’t know about other countries but as far as India is concerned, we people have much better transportation system. Though our road ways are not good enough, our domestic flights are not up to standard, though our rail tracks are not strong enough, and though there are so many incidents with Auto (Taxi), we Are Leaders.
Heard that UK also have some good means of transportation system just as India, but I guess the standards may be well enough in UK.
I know all Indians living in America may have been faced the same problem I had. Don’t you…?
Share your experiences with me here….!
I imagine, Indians in India may not face the problems like this. Am I correct or wrong with this statement...?
Share your bad experiences in India here…!

2 comments:

  1. Dude .... unfortunately aaaa minnesotaa baadhitudini neney .... baga cheppav raa jilani .... nijanga american transport system sucks and even american life sucks

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right Seenu.., American Life after MS sucks...During MS kills...

    ReplyDelete